BUSH'S® Great Northern Beans, fresh carrots and zucchini add a variety of tastes and textures to this Italian-inspired soup. Turn up the heat by using spicy sausage, or keep it kid-friendly with mild sausage. Either way, your family will love it!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 2 cans (15.8 oz) BUSH'S® Great Northern Beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mild or spicy Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces (casings removed)
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 small zucchini, cut into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped or 12 oz frozen, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 1 med. Onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese (optional)
- Optional Pesto
- Heat half the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown slightly. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in saucepan. Cook carrot, zucchini, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, oregano, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes about 5 minutes; stir often.
- Return sausage (and any juices) to pan. Add remaining ingredients except spinach and cheese. Add orzo in the last 10 minutes of simmer soup. Cover and simmer 30 minutes over low heat.
- Stir in spinach and cook several minutes more, until spinach wilts.
- Serve topped with cheese, if desired.
- Garnish with optional Pesto.