BUSH’S® Black Beans are one of our most versatile varieties—making them perfect for when you want to switch things up in the kitchen or create a new recipe.
That’s exactly what Chelsea from Chelsea’s Messy Apron used our black beans to do. She partnered with us to dream up this flavorful quinoa salad that combines red peppers, roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, and our black beans for a tasty, Southwest-inspired meal.
It’s super easy to put together by following the step-by-step video above. We recommend trying it with Chelsea’s cilantro dressing, which you can easily make by tossing ingredients like sour cream, paprika, and garlic together into a food processor or blender.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 2 large sweet potatoes (~4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 red pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) BUSH'S® Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted corn, drained
- Optional: 1 large avocado, fresh cilantro
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup fat free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Start by cooking the quinoa according to package directions. Allow to cool before assembling the salad.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into bite-sized chunks. Toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper (to taste; I add about ½ teaspoon each).
- Place the potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and add in the chopped peppers and toss around with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Return to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the peppers are crisp tender and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Drain and rinse the black beans and corn.
- Assemble the salad: Add quinoa to a bowl with the sweet potato mixture, BUSH'S® Black Beans, drained & rinsed, drained corn, avocado, and cilantro.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse to blend. Add dressing to individual salads and enjoy!